Python scripts from DOS

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Fri Jul 9 08:22:51 EDT 2010

Mark Carter wrote:
> On my machine, I can go to a DOS shell, and type
>    myscript.py
> This will cause the script to be run as a python script. So that bit
> works.
>
> On another machine, on which python was set up without admin
> privileges, if I type
>    myscript.py
> it will open the "Open With" dialog box. It wont let me execute it
> with python.exe. It asks me the same question every time, too. If I
> type
>    python myscript.py
> then everything works fine.
>
> Is there a way of setting up the "other" machine so that it replicates
> the behaviour of my machine?

Assuming you're talking Windows XP, Vista or Win7 you can do the following:

There are registry settings in two places, hklm and hkcu.  If you only
have one user on the machine, it probably doesn't matter.  in that case,
there's a nice commandline way to make these associations.

assoc   creates associations beteween a file extension and a string
ftype    creates an association between that string and an executable
program.

On my machine, assoc .py  shows

.py=Python.File

and ftype Python.File  shows

python.file="C:\PrgFiles\APYTHO~1\python.exe" "%1" %*

Or you can read the following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724475(VS.85).aspx

DaveA