The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Steven D'Aprano steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au
Thu Jul 8 03:44:47 EDT 2010

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:10:57 -0700, Brendan Abel wrote:

> The entire fact that 3.x was *designed* to be incompatible should tell
> you that supporting 2.x and 3.x with a single code base is a bad idea,
> except for the very smallest of projects.

I don't see that follows at all. If the incompatibilities are designed to
be mechanically translatable (e.g. "x.keys()" -> "list(x.keys())" then
you can start with a single code-base and run the translator.

If only there were some sort of Python program that could be used to
translate code from 2 to 3...

*wink*

--
Steven