The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jul 7 23:32:03 EDT 2010

geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > [backward-]incompatibilities between 2.x and 3.x will *increase*
> > over time.
>
> ...and? I don't get to use features from 2.7, why would I expect to
> use features from 3.3?

Conversely, why would you support Python 3.1?

> > Indeed, the feature moratorium is designed in part to help
> > slow-moving codebases migrate to Python 3.x before Python resumes
> > its normal pace of change again. If you're choosing to use that time
> > to further entrench codebases for Python 2.x, I think that's a
> > short-sighted choice.
>
> I welcome the day that I can stop supporting 2.x. Until then, I have
> to support both and your argument is irrelevant.

Why do you have to support Python 3 at all? Will you expect to continue
maintaining a single code base that supports PYthon 2.x and Python 3.2,
then 3.3, and so on?

The only point being made here is to answer the question of why people
are saying that a single code base for both 2.x and 3.x is a maintenance
burden. If, in your case, at the present time, that's not the case, then
good for you! But it will get increasingly harder to do, and the reasons
why have now been explained. Apply them as you see fit.

--
 \                             “I'm a born-again atheist.” —Gore Vidal |
Ben Finney