The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Jul 7 22:49:23 EDT 2010

Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> writes:

> Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> writes:
> > The point, one more time with feeling, is that the incompatibilities
> > between 2.x and 3.x will *increase* over time.
>
> The issue is less the "incompatibilities" than the -backwards-
> incompatibilities.

Yes, that's what I meant. Python 3 is deliberately under no obligation
to support code that works in Python 2. If something needs fixing, and
that fix would involve breaking Python 2 code, then that's not a
consideration any more.

The predictable result is that Python 3 will continue to gain
backward-incompatible changes in future.

> On the other hand, the door appears closed for Python 3 adding more
> stuff that breaks Python 2 code.

What gives you that idea? Can you reference a specific statement from
the PYthon developers that says that?

--
 \     “Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential |
  `\                         things in rationality.” —Bertrand Russell |