Download Microsoft C/C++ compiler for use with Python 2.6/2.7 ASAP

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Jul 7 16:22:32 EDT 2010

On 2010-07-07, Martin v. Loewis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

>> Also observe that this macro is very badly written (even illegal) C.
>> Consider what this would do:
>>
>>     PyMem_MALLOC(n++)
>>
>> According to Linus Thorvalds using macros like this is not even legal
>> C:
>>
>> http://www.linuxfocus.org/common/src/January2004_linus.html
>
> [Please don't use "legal" wrt. programs - it's not "illegal" to violate
> the language's rules; you don't go to jail when doing so. Linus said
> "not allowed"]

Nonsense.

The world "illegal" doesn't mean "you'll go to jail".

"Legal" and "illegal" are used to indicate conformance or
nonconformace with respect to some set of rules -- be they a
programming language standard, FIFA footbal rules, or Forumula 1
technical regulations.

It's perfectly standard usage to refer to an "illegal forward pass" in
American football, to "illegal tires" used during a race, or to an
"illegal operation" in a program.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I feel like I'm
                                  at               in a Toilet Bowl with a