Error message repetition

Tambet qtvali at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 11:53:53 EDT 2010

> Depending on how far this goes up, you might just be able to change the
> backlog your terminal emulator saves? that would allow you to scroll up.
> If you can't do that, you should get a proper console.

I use bash, which allows to do that. This was rather a case example -
actually this output gets pretty annoying anyway and should contain only
most important information at any given moment. Scrollbar getting too small
is another example of the same case ...the case that if something outputs
2000 lines of repetition, it's not very much of use. This could be that
someone does not understand the cryptic output, but I think that anyone
having that long traceback is probably intelligent enough to google for
"Python traceback what those cryptic things mean" ;) I think that this
functionality should be triggered only by traceback bigger than, say, 20
lines or so. Also, this is not the point, where processor usage costs
anything.

Anyway, if you want to customise the traceback output, you can!
> simply replace sys.excepthook with your own version.
>
> http://docs.python.org/dev/py3k/library/sys.html#sys.excepthook

Ok, I should have thought of that - anyway, such thing should be standard
functionality. I personally love nonverbose output - if it can't say it in 1
A4, it should just tell me that it could if I asked. I mean, normally I like
to have one sight over the traceback and another over program itself.

Thanks for that hook ...I will use it in case I get four of five more
similar errors today ;)