Download Microsoft C/C++ compiler for use with Python 2.6/2.7 ASAP

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Tue Jul 6 16:49:40 EDT 2010

On 6 Jul, 21:52, casevh <cas... at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 6, 9:21 am, Thomas Jollans <tho... at jollans.com> wrote:
> > But that doesn't really
> > change anything: the express edition of Microsoft's VC++ doesn't include
> > an amd64 compiler anyway, AFAIK.

See here:
http://jenshuebel.wordpress.com/2009/02/12/visual-c-2008-express-edition-and-64-bit-targets/

The express edition can be used as is for x86 though (it might not
have an optimizing compiler). It can also be used for C++, unlike g++
(at least VC++ is safer).

> The original version of the Windows 7 SDK includes the command line
> version of the VS 2008 amd64 compiler.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0>cl
Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for x64

usage: cl [ option... ] filename... [ /link linkoption... ]

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0>

Need any more proof? :D

Also note that the Windows 7 SDK can still be used with IDEs, like Qt
Creator, KDEvelop (yes there is a Windows version), Eclipse, Visual
Studio, and even Visual C++ Express (a little PITA for amd64, but
possible too).

I'm still fan of a tiny text editor for typing (Kate from KDE tends to
be my favorite) and a Python script for building, though.