Download Microsoft C/C++ compiler for use with Python 2.6/2.7 ASAP

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Tue Jul 6 13:35:50 EDT 2010

On 6 Jul, 19:09, Thomas Jollans <tho... at jollans.com> wrote:

> Okay, you need to be careful with FILE*s. But malloc and free? You'd
> normally only alloc & free something within the same module, using the
> same functions (ie not mixing PyMem_Malloc and malloc), would you not?

You have to be sure PyMem_Malloc is not an preprocessor alias for
malloc (I haven't chaecked).

In general, CRT objects cannot be shared across CRT boundaries.

Also remember the C and C++ standard libraries interact. g++ from
links statically with an incompatible C++ standard library (read: it
will segfault, it's just a question of when).

> Coming from a system where I can generally rely on the system gcc to
> work for everything, I may be a bit naïve wrt certain questions ;-)

On sane operating systems you generally have one version of libc
installed.

Windows did this too (msvcrt.dll) up to the VS2003 release, which came
with msvcr71.dll in addition. Since then, M$ (pronounced Megadollar
Corp.) have published msvcr80.dll, msvcr90.dll, and msvcr100.dll (and
corresponding C++ versions) to annoy C and C++ developers into
converting to C# .NET. (And yes, programs using third-party DLL and
OCX components become unstable from this. You have to check each DLL/
OCX you use, and each DLL used by each DLL, etc. How fun...)