Download Microsoft C/C++ compiler for use with Python 2.6/2.7 ASAP

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Tue Jul 6 12:39:52 EDT 2010

On 6 Jul, 18:00, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <alf.p.steinbach
+use... at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no *technical* problem creating a compiler-independent C/C++ language
> binding. I believe that Java's JNI works fine no matter what compiler you use,
> although it's many many years since I've done JNI things. Similarly, Python
> should IMHO just have a well defined compiler independent native code interface,
> e.g. "PNI", or "pynacoin", the PYthon NAtive COde INterface :-)

Yes but Python currently does not, due to dependency on VS2003 (2.5)
or VS2008 (2.6, 2.7, 3.1) C and C++ runtime DLLs.

It's not the binary interface that is the trouble, but CRT
versioning.

C++ is extra troublesome due to name mangling, standard runtime and
exceptions.

Here are the issues:

C++:
VS2010 - does not link with msvcp90.dll but msvcp100.dll.
mingw - linkes statically with its own C++ library.

Win32, ANSI C:
VS2010 - does not link with msvcr90.dll but msvcr100.dll.
mingw - ok for C if passed -lmsvcr90 on linking step

Win64, ANSI C:
VS2010 - does not link with msvcr90.dll but msvcr100.dll.
mingw - missing import libraries (libmsvcr90.a and libpython26.a)

Visual Studio 2008's C/C++ compiler is the only sane solution. It is
still there so go get it if you don't already have a copy (I guess Alf
does).