Python 2.7 released

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Tue Jul 6 04:07:48 EDT 2010

On 06/07/2010 07:06, David Bolen wrote:
> I tend to need multiple versions around when developing, so I keep a
> bunch of versions all installed in separate directories as \Python\x.y
> (so I only have a single root directory).  With 2.7, my current box
> has 6 Python interpreters (2.4-3.1) installed at the moment.
>
> I use Cygwin (wouldn't try to work on a Windows system without it), so
> just use bash aliases to execute the right interpreter, but a batch
> file could be used with the cmd interpreter, and you could link GUI
> shortcuts to that batch file.

I, too, have multiple versions installed -- newer ones for running code
I haven't upgraded; older ones for compatibility testing where needed.
I just install to the default c:\pythonxy directories (although I like
the idea of a common root) and I put NTFS hardlinks into my general
c:\tools directory which is on the path. The out-of-context hardlinks
work because of the registry settings which pick up the correct context
for each version.

(I've never quite clicked with cygwin or MingW despite giving them
several goes on the basis of others' enthusiasm...)

TJG