Python 2.7 released

Mon Jul 5 20:15:19 EDT 2010

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 12:59:00 -0700, Martineau wrote:

> I'd like to view the contents of the help file without actually
> installing the release which would wipe out any currently installed
> version (I'm one of those rare people who actually reads manuals
> *before* using or installing most things.)

When you say "wipe out any currently installed version", do you mean an
older version of 2.7, or an older version such as 2.6, 2.5, 2.4, ... ?

If the first, I don't know of any simple way to keep multiple
installations with the same major and minor version number (e.g. 2.7.0a
and 2.7.0.b). Sorry.

But if you mean the second, that you don't want to over-write 2.6, I'd be
shocked if the Python installer does that. Doesn't it install Python to
something like C:\Programs\Python<version> ?

Performing a source install under Linux, by default existing versions
remain in place, but there's a soft link "python" which points to the
most recent version. Doing a regular install over-writes the soft link.
But there's an "altinstall" option which leaves the link untouched, so
(for example) I have python -> python 2.5 while still having other
versions installed and accessible directly with python2.6, python2.4 etc.
I would be stunned if Windows didn't support an equivalent to altinstall.

Are there any Windows users out there who can confirm that the installer
does or doesn't leave existing versions in place?

--
Steven