The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 5 14:49:04 EDT 2010

On 7/5/2010 6:04 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>  wrote:
[snip]

> I think numpy will work for 3.1 as well

If numpy were released today for 3.1 (or even anytime before 3.2), that
would be great. It would let those waiting for it that it is real and
that they can go ahead on their ports.

Part of the reason for the 3.2 core-change moratorium was to let
3rd-party packages target 3.2 by working with 3.1. If they finish and
release sooner (as some have), even better. Unless they depend on
something that changes in the stdlib, porting for one should pretty much
be porting for both.

> (I don't know about 3.0, but
> my understanding is that there is no point into even looking at that
> release).

Agreed.

--
Terry Jan Reedy