Python 3 put-downs: What's the point?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 5 14:33:02 EDT 2010

On 7/4/2010 9:20 PM, CM wrote:
> On Jul 4, 7:14 pm, Terry Reedy<tjre... at udel.edu>  wrote:
>>

> I think there's a good point to Python 3 put-downs (if I take put-down
> to mean generally reasonable criticism, which is what I've read here
> recently, and not trolling).  And that is simply to register
> dissent.

But dissent from what?

Dissent from something obviously true?
(like 'Pythonx.y is useful to some people')

Dissent from something obvious false, that no one has said?
(like 'Everyone should switch to Pythonx.y')

> Any online group is an opportunity to register dissent in a way that
> is public, open, immediate, interactive, and will (probably) be
> preserved for historians to check.  The fact is, some people have
> gripes with Python 3; they are letting it be known.

I have several 'gripes' with 2.7 and it is currently useless to me.
Should I let them be known? How many times?

>  If no one did,
> there could be no later time at which people could look back and know
> what the reaction was to its introduction--it would just be a blank.
> Aren't opinions that dissent from the prevailing ones important to
> register, whether one thinks they are right or wrong?

Do you agree with me that the same criteria for gripe legitimacy should
be applied equally to all Python versions (even if we should disagree on
what those criteria should be)?

--
Terry Jan Reedy