The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 5 01:44:46 EDT 2010

On 7/4/2010 7:58 PM, John Nagle wrote:

> The "incompatible with all extension modules I need" part
> is the problem right now. A good first step would be to
> identify the top 5 or 10 modules that are blocking a move to
> Python 3 by major projects with many users.

Let me repeat. Last September, if not before, Guido identified numpy as
a top package blocking moves by other packages and projects. I am not
sure what he thought, but I consider it number 1. He encouraged the
numpy people to produce a 3.x version even though some did not see any
personal benefit. We supposedly will see numpy for 3.2. If we actually
do, other dominoes will fall into place.

I you have any other ideas about other top blockers, please share them.

--
Terry Jan Reedy