The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Jul 2 23:50:13 EDT 2010

On 7/2/2010 3:07 PM, John Nagle wrote:

> That's the real issue, not parentheses on the "print" statement.
> Where's the business case for moving to Python 3? It's not faster.
> It doesn't do anything you can't do in Python 2.6.

False. One cannot run code in 2.6 that depends on bugfixes in 3.1. Nor
can one run code with unicode identifiers.

The exclusive new features in 3.1 and 3.2 are less than they might have
been because the developers expended extra effort, now ended, to
backport new things developed for 3.x. (One result was some neglect of
the stdlib, which is now the focus of efforts.) One reason was to make
porting to 3.x easier should one wish to do so. The other reason was to
make some thing available should one wish not to do so. Using that extra
effort as a reason to put down 3.x is not very gracious.

> There's no "killer app" for it.

For some, unicode identifiers are 'killer reason' to use 3.1.

Anyway, can you name me a "killer app" for each and every version of 2.x?

 > End of life for Python 2.x is many years away;

Given that 1.x is still used, so what?

> most server Linux distros aren't even shipping with 2.6 yet. How can a
> business justify spending money on conversion to Python 3?

How can a business justify spending money on conversion to 2.0, 2,1,
2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, or soon, 2.7? Some cannot for some projects and
have not.

Enough with strawman arguments against claims no sensible person has
made. Python3 was developed for new Python programmers and current
programmers who wished to add or switch. It was developed for new code
and old code that would benefit from the changes.

--
Terry Jan Reedy