The real problem with Python 3 - no business case for conversion (was "I strongly dislike Python 3")

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Jul 2 21:36:49 EDT 2010

In article <4c2e79d3$0$1663$742ec2ed at news.sonic.net>,
John Nagle  <nagle at animats.com> wrote:
>On 7/2/2010 3:00 PM, Aahz wrote:
>> In article<4C2E38F5.10708 at animats.com>, John Nagle<nagle at animats.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>>     5.	Get at least two major hosting services to put up Python 3.
>>
>> webfaction.com has python3.1
>
>    Any user can install Python 3.x, but it's not there by default.

Yes, it is.  I logged into my webfaction shell, typed python3.1, and got
a standard Python prompt, without doing anything whatsoever to make
Python 3.1 available.

>    "http://blog.webfaction.com/python-3-0-is-here"

Is there some reason you're using a broken URL format?

>    If that approach catches on, Python 3 deployment will be much easier.
>But for now, only a few smaller players like WebFaction are using it.

In the hosting space that makes Python available, WebFaction is hardly a
smaller player.

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it."  --Dijkstra