I strongly dislike Python 3

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 01:16:57 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano <steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au> writes:

>> > There's also Fitt's Law to consider: the space bar is big and
>> > easily-placed and hence easy to type in the middle of a stream of
>> > other keystrokes. None of that is true for the parens.
>>
>> This is true, but there's nothing unique to print about that.
>
> Non sequitur. The issue is one of the *difference* being observed (from
> Python 2 to Python 3): between the use of spaces versus parens for
> delimiting an argument sequence.
>
> Merely counting keystrokes isn't enough, in light of Fitt's Law.
>
>> Personally, I think that the parentheses should be where the square
>> brackets are, square brackets should be moved to where curly brackets
>> are, and curly brackets moved to shift-9 and shift-0. But I don't care
>> enough to remap my keyboard.
>
> Right. I'm much more concerned about the position of my Ctrl key, to
> avoid hand injury from all the key chording done as a programmer.

Not saying its a cure-all, but I broke my hand pretty badly a few years
ago and had a lot of luck with a homemade foot switch for each of the
meta keys. Was pretty fun to do (all things considered) and worked
pretty well. I'm sure if you're willing to do some shopping around you
could get a prefab one fairly cheaply.

Geremy Condra