Problem with Elementtree and XMLSchem instance type

Roland Hedberg roland.hedberg at adm.umu.se
Fri Jul 30 09:21:58 EDT 2010

Hi!

I have the following XML snippet:

<RoleDescriptor
    xmlns:fed="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsfed/federation/200706"
    xsi:type="fed:SecurityTokenServiceType">
</RoleDescriptor>

This part after parsing with Elementtree gives me an Element instance
with the following properties:

> tree.tag
{urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:metadata}RoleDescriptor
['{http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance}type']
> tree['{http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance}type']
fed:SecurityTokenServiceType

And there is the problem, I've lost the coupling between the prefix
'fed' and the namespace
"http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsfed/federation/200706".

Is there any way I can get at the prefix <-> namespace mapping from an
Element instance ?
I've read the documentation I can find and there is nothing that tells
me how to get at the mapping.

If I print the Element instance the prefix 'fed' is replace by 'ns0' or
something like that.
Definitely something that has no connection to the original 'fed'.

-- Roland