Updating path.py

Michael Hoffman 4g4trz802 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jul 26 18:16:49 EDT 2010

I have been using Jason Orendorff's path.py module for a long time. It
is very useful. The only problem is that Python 2.6 deprecates the md5
module it imports, so I (and others using my software) now get this
warning whenever they start, which is a little annoying.

/homes/hoffman/arch/Linux-x86_64/lib/python2.6/path-2.2-py2.6.egg/path.py:32:
DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead

The original web page is gone, and e-mails to the author have gone
unanswered. It has a "public domain" license so I could easily fork it
and make this small change. The question is what is the best way to do
that and ensure continuity with the previous versions. Can I (or someone
else) take over the PyPI entry in question? Other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Michael Hoffman