Pyglet being extremely slow

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 14:49:55 EDT 2010

I've just tried Pyglet on my computer, a lower-end laptop at that, and going
though the Pyglet tutorials I've tried this:

import pyglet

> window = pyglet.window.Window()

> @window.event

def on_key_press(symbol, modifiers):

    print 'A key was pressed'

> @window.event

def on_draw():

    window.clear()

> pyglet.app.run()

And from a button-press to the print-statement activating takes ~3 seconds.
I mean, yeah so I'm on a slow-ish-medium laptop but... three bloody seconds?
On another one that shows the FPS of the program I'm getting 0 (fps). I
would give you more detail but this has me stumped. Pygame was a decent
performer -- and I'm not even drawing anything.

Yeah, any help? *sigh*

PS: Note that I'm on Ubuntu with a tiling window manager (Awesome).