Writing Out from 2 Lists

Dlanor Slegov dlanorslegov at rocketmail.com
Thu Jul 8 07:30:09 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am trying to find a python solution for an informatics problem I have at
work. Generalized equivalent of my problem is:

I have an excel sheet with column 1 and column 2 having corresponding
information (much like a dictionary, however with repeating "keys"). Its like if
you read down column 1: a,b,a,a,b,c and if you read down column 2: 1,2,3,4,5,6.
I would like to write "unique" files such as a.txt, b.txt and c.txt with
matching information (from column 2) in a.txt in separate rows like: 1,3,4 and
in b.txt like: 2,5, etc.

What I have been able to do until now is the following:

import sys
sys.path.append("C:/Downloads/Python/xlrd-0.6.1")
import xlrd

wb = xlrd.open_workbook("myexcelsheet.xls")
sheet = wb.sheet_by_index(0)

clmn1 = sheet.col_values(1,1)
clmn2 = sheet.col_values(2,1)

#NOW WHAT IS HAVE ARE TWO LISTS WITH CORRESPONDING INDICES

#My thought is now to write a counter and for each value in clmn1, write a text
file with the name of the value and add data from clmn2 in this file. I want to
start with index[0], i.e. value 1 of clmn1 and then go to 2nd value and compare
(==) it with 1st value and if its equal then append to the same file 2nd value
from clmn2...like this with 3rd value in clmn1, i want to compare it to 1st and
2nd value....wrap this whole in to a nice loop.

#Don't know if this is the "easy" way, but this is what my mind came up with.
Now I am stuck in colored line below, where I am unable to "create a new
filename with string coming from a variable":

l = len(clmn1)
c = 0
while (c < l):
filename = clmn1[c]
fhdl1 = open('/mypythonfolder/%(filename)s_appendsomename.txt','w')

fhdl1.write(clmn2(c)+'\n')
print filename
c = c + 1
I would appreciate comments and suggestions on how can I get through this
problem and also would like to know if there are any methods for lists to solve
this problem in a different way.

Many Thanks,
Ronald.