Argh! Name collision!

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet alf.p.steinbach+usenet at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 22:11:10 EDT 2010

Donald Knuth once remarked (I think it was him) that what matters for a program
is the name, and that he'd come up with a really good name, now all he'd had to
do was figure out what it should be all about.

And so considering Sturla Molden's recent posting about unavailability of MSVC
9.0 (aka Visual C++ 2008) for creating Python extensions in Windows, and my
unimaginative reply proposing names like "pni" and "pynacoin" for a compiler
independent Python native code interface, suddenly, as if out of thin air, or
perhaps out of fish pudding, the name "pyni" occurred to me.

"pyni"! Pronounced like "tiny"! Yay!

I sat down and made my first Python extension module, following the tutorial in
the docs. It worked!

But, wait, perhaps some other extension is already named "piny"?

Google.

<url: http://code.google.com/p/pyni/>, "PyNI is [a] config file reader/writer".

Argh!

- Alf