Ignorance and Google Groups (again)

Mithrandir mithrandiragainwiki at mailinator.com
Thu Jul 1 03:51:08 EDT 2010

"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy at druid.net> wrote in
news:mailman.46.1277931314.1673.python-list at python.org:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 13:10:43 -0700 (PDT)
> garryTX <garry5563 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jun 29, 5:31 pm, nanothermite911fbibustards
> [...]
>> you ignorant mf.  stfu.
>
> You shouldn't be calling people ignorant for what they post if you are
> just going to repost every word again.  Everything that applies to him
> applies to you.
>
> I have had it with GG.  For the last few months I have been filtering
> all mail from gmail.com that comes through the news gateway into a
> separate folder to see where the spam and abuse comes from.  Over that
> time about 99% of all the useless crap has been caught in that filter.
> It's unfortunate that there are some decent posts as well but I have
> finally decided that the peace and quiet is worth more than the odd
> missed gem.  So, if you are accessing this list through GG and wonder
> why I seem to be ignoring your brilliant arguments, this is why.
>
> If anyone is interested in the procmail recipe I will be using, here
> it is in all it's glory.
>
>:0: Hir
> * ^List-Id:.*python-list.python.org
> * ^From:.*@gmail.com
> * ^Newsgroups:
> /dev/null
>
> Cheers.

I only use Google Groups for quick searchs in Usenet archives, but even
then I still have to manually filter out all the spam. (Heck, I don't
even have a "G-Account." I use news.ett.com.ua as my server and X-News
as my reader.) I know spam has almost always been on Usenet, but it
really picked up when G-Groups opened up. I really wish that Google
would do something about it, but hey! It's not like anyone's interested
in Usenet, right?

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only "pissed customer" out there. And
thanks for the code! :)

(If you're as paranoid as I am about security and Google, try
GoogleSharing for Firefox.)

Good luck!

--
People should read more.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/User:MithrandirAgain
>From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
a light from the shadows shall spring;
renenwed shall be blade that was broken,
the crownless again shall be king."