unencountered error in FFT python

Mark Dickinson dickinsm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 05:02:01 EST 2010

On Jan 30, 8:20 pm, uche <uraniumore... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another issue:
>     x[a], x[b] = x[(a)] + W[(n % N)] * x[(b)], x[(a)] - W[(n % N)] * x
> [(b)]
> TypeError: can't multiply sequence by non-int of type 'complex'

With your original code, the elements of array2 are strings, and here
Python is refusing to multiply the string x[a] by the complex number W
[n % N].  Presumably you want the elements of array2 to be integers or
floats instead? (Your comments suggest integers, though I think floats
would be more natural here.)

MRAB's earlier reply suggests how to fix this:

    array2 = []
    for a in range(len(array)):
        array2.append(int(array[a]))   # note the extra int!

That works, but the code is cleaner if you iterate over the elements
of the array directly, instead of over their indices:

    array2 = []
    for x in array:
        array2.append(int(x))

There are other ways, too:  a seasoned Python user would probably
write this either as a list comprehension:

    array2 = [int(x) for x in array]

... or using the built-in map function:

    array2 = map(int, array)

--