Some C-API functions clear the error indicator?

Austin Bingham austin.bingham at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 02:10:39 EST 2010

The original post was, in a nutshell, the "use case"; it's very scaled
down the from the real example, and not intended to "make sense". The
notion on which I was (apparently incorrectly) basing my exception
translation was that I could 1) get and reset references to the error
indicators, 2) call other python methods that don't themselves throw,
and 3) later retrieve the same "active" exceptions. I was relying on
this ability to "re-fetch" exceptions insofar as the functions in my
code which dealt with python exceptions all looked up the exception
separately. The predicate that "a successful function won't modify the
error indicators" appears to be wrong, however, and I've modified my
code accordingly.

Austin