Perl 6 [was Re: myths about python 3]

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 22:03:28 EST 2010

On Jan 28, 9:34 pm, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:21:05 -0800, Tim Roberts wrote:
> > Perl 6, on the other hand, is still fantasyware a decade after its
> > announcement.  It is, for the most part, THE canonical example of the
> > wrong way to conduct a development effort.
>
> Out of curiosity, and completely off-topic, why has Perl 6 gone so badly?

Because Larry Wall saw the writing on the wall that his "nice little
scripting language" was way out of its league in terms of what it was
trying to be (i.e., a real programming language suitable for building
applications), and so he bailed out and left the Perl community with
no leadership.

This is just my impression, but some of the efforts to create Perl 6
seem to be clinging to a notion that Perl has always been a good
language and are trying to ensure that it doesn't stray very far from
Perl's core principles.  Problem is, Perl wasn't ever a good language
so they won't succeed.  IOW, as Geremy Condra said, "it's too much
like Perl".

Carl Banks