Funny behaviour with __future__ and doctest between 2.6 and 3.1

Mattsteel mattsteel at hotmail.it
Fri Jan 29 11:21:55 EST 2010

Hi Peter.
Sadly (for me), you're right... then the only way to use doctest to
work both in 2.6 and 3.1 (without modifications between them) is
something like this:

#!/usr/bin/env python
'''
>>> str(concat('hello','world'))
'hello world'
'''
from __future__  import unicode_literals
def concat( first, second ):
    return first + ' ' + second
if __name__ == "__main__":
    import doctest
    doctest.testmod()

Is there any way to avoid using str(...) to protect the string?
M.

     #!/usr/bin/env python
    '''
    >>> concat('hello','world')