Python 3.1 simplejson install

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Fri Jan 29 09:41:28 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:
> dirknbr wrote:
>> I am trying to install simplejson on Python 3.1 on Windows. When I do
>> 'python setup.py install' I get 'except DisutilsPlatformError, x:
>> SyntaxError' with a dash under the comma.
>
> You are trying to install a package written for Python 2.x on 3.x, and some
> of the 2.x Syntax is illegal in Python 3.

To be specific (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3110/):

"the ambiguous
    except A, B:
which would mean different things in Python 2.x and 3.x -- leading to
hard-to-catch bugs -- cannot legally occur in 3.x code."

The except statement in your error would be properly written in 3.x as:
    except DisutilsPlatformError as x:

Cheers,
Chris
--