myths about python 3

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Jan 29 03:25:15 EST 2010

> Well, I'd consider that an official release.  Note that I didn't claim
> there was no hope PSF wouldn't change it's mind on 2.8.

I'd like to point out that the PSF formally doesn't have any say in
this.

Instead, releases are created by the release manager, who gets appointed
by Guido van Rossum. Those two listen primarily to the opinions of the
fellow committers (which may or may not happen to be PSF members as
well).

> Regardless of how magnaminous the people of PSF are, the unfortunate
> reality is that trademark owners are forced by the law to be
> "particularly petty".  PSF's IP lawyer will advise not to allow
> unsanctioned fork of Python 2.7 to call itself Python 2.8.

However, calling it "Passive Python", or "John Smith Python", for
example, would certainly be fine. Calling something "Python 2.8"
may not be unreasonable, also "Python 2.9", but surely "Python 2.10"
will hit strong objections (GvR always announced that there will
never be a two-digit minor release number).

Regards,
Martin