Library support for Python 3.x

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Thu Jan 28 04:21:23 EST 2010

David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> writes:
> So yes, you could say "just try and if it crashes, check that it is
> not ABI-related". In practice, this is very poor engineering in my
> book...

I just looked at PEP 384 and I don't see anything in it about version
numbers in the interfaces.  I certainly think something like that should
be added if it's not too late.  Basically any extension module should
check that the CPython loading it is new enough, and CPython should
(when feasible) continue to support old interfaces when changes are
made.  This is pretty standard stuff as done in COM, Java, and
presumably .NET, along with many communications protocols.