Library support for Python 3.x

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Jan 28 03:08:41 EST 2010

David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> writes:

> Unstable may be strong - every minor version of python has a lifespan
> of several years. But yes, that's an hindrance for packagers: you need
> to package binaries for every minor version of python

It's important to note that this is mitigated, ironically enough, by
intentionally targeting a minimum Python minor version because the code
base makes use of Python features not available in older versions.

That is, any minor version of Python that doesn't have the features your
code base uses can be ignored (given the set of supported versions is
explicitly declared) — and hence one doesn't need to package binaries
for every minor version.

--
 \          “Our products just aren't engineered for security.” —Brian |
  `\             Valentine, senior vice-president of Microsoft Windows |