Library support for Python 3.x

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 00:58:15 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> For a windows user who depends on pre-built binaries, every new release
> breaks *every* library that is not pure Python and needs to be compiled.

That's not windows specific - most packages which distribute binary
packages need to package binaries for every minor version (2.4, 2.5,
etc...). That's certainly the case for numpy and scipy. Python does
not have a stable ABI across minor releases, only micro releases.

I doubt that's what Paul was referring to, though - he seemed more
concern with API/language changes than ABI issues.

cheers,

David