myths about python 3

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 20:59:39 EST 2010

On Jan 27, 5:36 pm, alex23 <wuwe... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Terry Reedy <tjre... at udel.edu> wrote:
> > Actually, Unladen Swallow is now targeted at 3.1; its developers have
> > conservatively proposed its integration in CPython 3.3. I would not be
> > completely shocked if it happens in 3.2.
>
> Why do I feel like there's less of an onus on Unladen Swallow to
> _actually prove itself in substantial real world usage_ before
> integration into CPython than there is on even the smallest of modules
> for inclusion in the standard library?

I don't sense that.  I get a sense that there's a lot of people
licking their chops because it's sponsored by Google and everything
Google touches turns to gold, but that's just nameless plebians.  I
trust the developers not to be easily convinced.  If GvR allows this
into CPython without something like a typical 4x speed increase I'll
eat my hat.

Carl Banks