python 3's adoption

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Jan 27 15:05:35 EST 2010

On 2010-01-27, Alf P. Steinbach <alfps at start.no> wrote:
> * Steve Holden:
>> Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
>> [...]
>>> The main problem with the incompatibility is for porting code, not for
>>> writing code from scratch. It's also a problem wrt. learning the
>>> language. And I see no good reason for it: print can't really do more,
>>> or less, or more conveniently (rather, one has to write a bit more now
>>> for same effect).
>>
>> Of course it can do more: it allows you to layer your own print
>> functionality into the system much more easily than you could with the
>> print statement.
>
> Yeah, point. Very minor though. :-)

I don't think it's minor at all.  Being able to globally
redefine the behavior of "print" for all modules is a big win
when you want to import a module that's too chatty about what
it's doing.  The "right" way for modules to chatter about
internals is using the logging module, but not everybody
follows that convention.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Four thousand
                                  at               different MAGNATES, MOGULS