Accessing the name of an actual parameter

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Tue Jan 26 07:06:44 EST 2010

Hellmut Weber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> consider the following piece of code, please
>
> ----- -----
>
> def f(param):
>   nameOfParam = ???
>   # here I want to access the name of the variable
>   # which was given as parameter to the function
>   print nameOfParam, param
>   return
>
> if __name__ == __main__:
>
>   a = 1
>   f(a)
>
>   b = 'abcd'
>   f(a)
>
> ----- -----
>
> The output should be:
>
> 'a' 1
> 'b' 'abcd'
>
> ----- -----
>
> I tried to look at globals() and locals(), gave a look to the frames
> (sys._getframe(0) and sys._getframe(1),
> but did not see a possibility to access the information a want
>
> How can this be done?
>
> TIA
>
> Hellmut

I don't know if it's possible (maybe using smelling hackish code).
What I know for sure, is that your function should ask the required
informations as parameters. That what parameters are for.

Tell us whant you want to achieve precisely with the parameter names,
maybe we'll find something suitable.

JM