list.pop(0) vs. collections.dequeue

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 23 12:38:29 EST 2010

On Jan 23, 7:54 am, Steven D'Aprano <st... at REMOVE-THIS-
cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:57:04 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:
> > In article <hje979$kc... at news.eternal-september.org>,
> >  "Alf P. Steinbach" <al... at start.no> wrote:
>
> >> But it would IMHO have been better if it wasn't called "list", which
> >> brings in the wrong associations for someone used to other languages.
>
> > +1.
>
> > When I first started using Python (back in the 1.4 days), I assumed a
> > list was a singly-linked list.
>
> Why would you do that? I can think of at least eight different
> implementations of the abstract list data structure:
>
> constant-size array
> variable-size array
> variable-size array with amortised O(1) appends
> singly-linked list
> singly-linked list with CDR coding
> doubly-linked list
> skip list
> indexable skip list
>
> One can reasonably disregard constant-sized arrays as a possibility,
> given that Python lists aren't fixed size (pity the poor Pascal and
> Fortran coders who are stuck with static arrays!), but the rest are all
> reasonable possibilities. Why assume one specific implementation in the
> absence of documentation promising certain performance characteristics?
>
> > Oddly enough, I was going to write in the above paragraph, "like a C++
> > STL list", until I happened to glance at the STL docs and refreshed my
> > memory that an STL list is doubly-linked.  Which just goes to show that
> > making assumptions based on names is a bad idea.
>
> Exactly :)
>
> > So, we're right back to my statement earlier in this thread that the
> > docs are deficient in that they describe behavior with no hint about
> > cost. Given that, it should be no surprise that users make incorrect
> > assumptions about cost.
>
> There are quite a few problems with having the documentation specify cost:
>
> (1) Who is going to do it? Any volunteers?
>
> (2) Big-oh notation can be misleading, especially for naive users, or
> those whose intuition for what's fast has been shaped by other languages.
> Big-oh doesn't tell you whether something is fast or slow, only how it
> scales -- and sometimes not even then.
>
> (3) Having documented a particular performance, that discourages
> implementation changes. Any would-be patch or new implementation not only
> has to consider that the functional behaviour doesn't change, but that
> the performance doesn't either.
>
> In practice the Python developers are unlikely to make an implementation
> change which leads to radically worse performance, particularly for
> critical types like list and dict. But in other cases, they might choose
> to change big-oh behaviour, and not wish to be tied down by documentation
> of the cost of operations.
>
> (4) How much detail is necessary? What about degenerate cases? E.g. dict
> lookup in CPython is typically O(1) amortised, but if all the keys hash
> to the same value, it falls to O(N).

> [...]

Bringing this thread full circle, does it make sense to strike this
passage from the tutorial?:

'''
It is also possible to use a list as a queue, where the first element
added is the first element retrieved (“first-in, first-out”); however,
lists are not efficient for this purpose. While appends and pops from
the end of list are fast, doing inserts or pops from the beginning of
a list is slow (because all of the other elements have to be shifted
by one).
'''

I think points #3 and #6 possibly apply. Regarding points #2 and #4,
the tutorial is at least not overly technical or specific; it just
explains the requirement to shift other elements one by one in simple
layman's terms.