How to install local module other than in "site-packages"?

Jive Dadson notontheweb at noisp.com
Sun Jan 17 19:47:46 EST 2010

Ben Finney wrote:
> Jive Dadson <notontheweb at noisp.com> writes:
>
>>    How do I install a module that I wrote, without putting it in the
>> site-packages directory for a specific release?  I have stuff that, to
>> the best of my knowledge and belief, ought to work under any release.
>
> Nevertheless, the compiled byte-code version will be specific to the
> Python version that compiled it. You need to install the module to a
> version-specific directory for that reason at least.
>
>> I do not want to have multiple copies of it.  When I edit one of the
>> modules, I want it to "take" for every release.  Is that clear?  Hope
>> so.
>
> You'll need (I'd love to be corrected on this) to come up with a
> deployment discipline: a build process that deploys the module from its
> (single, canonical) source location to the appropriate locations when
> you decide to deploy it.

Thanks for your help.

Well that majorly sucks.  I was hoping the "foo.pth" thing would save
me. There ought to be a way.  But even if they did invent one, it
wouldn't help  me, because I am stuck at version 2.6.  Don't even get me
started on that.  I really like Python, but the way every release breaks
everything is a royal pain. The biggest problem is C-extensions of stuff
that does not come with the Python release. I've complained about it
before, but it didn't help.  I guess I got myself started on that. :-)

Since I cannot imagine facing the challenge of going to 3.0, I guess it
doesn't matter if I have my stuff in a folder that's specific to 2.6.