py2exe and pydocs. Downloads?

W. eWatson wolftracks at invalid.com
Sun Jan 17 17:43:25 EST 2010

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> En Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:16:17 -0300, W. eWatson <wolftracks at invalid.com>
> escribió:
>
>> I'm using Python 2.5 under windows, and IDLE. Do py2exe and pydocs
>> come with the package, or do I have to download them?
>
> py2exe has to be downloaded from www.py2exe.org
> I don't know pydocs, but pydoc comes with Python

Thanks. I'll look at the link. Actually, I was close
<http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial>, but no banana (cigar).  Yep,
right on your link, download from source forge.

According to Lutz's 4th edition (reading from Amazon), Pydoc is shipped
with Python. I found this earlier in the Python Help under Global Index
for modules.
==========================
The pydoc module automatically generates documentation from Python
modules. The documentation can be presented as pages of text on the
console, served to a Web browser, or saved to HTML files.

The built-in function help() invokes the online help system in the
interactive interpreter, which uses pydoc to generate its documentation
as text on the console. The same text documentation can also be viewed
from outside the Python interpreter by running pydoc as a script at the
operating system's command prompt. For example, running

pydoc sys

at a shell prompt
I get:
 >>> import pydoc
 >>> pydoc sys
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

The book says Help uses it, and there's some sort of html version, but
I'm missing something here. Command line, Linux shell?