Is python not good enough?

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Sat Jan 16 23:06:54 EST 2010

David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> writes:

> And certainly, one of the big reason for
> the python success is easy interface with C. Maybe interfacing with C
> is the real reason for holding back python implementations ?

The CPython/C API is not terrible but it's not all that easy to use.
For example, it's very easy to make reference counting errors.  Other
language FFI's that I've used avoid that problem to some extent.  It's
true that CPython has quite a few existing C modules that would require
rework if the API were to change incompatibly.  But I think a different
(better) API wouldn't stop people from writing new modules.