chr(12) Form Feed in Notepad

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Jan 16 17:45:05 EST 2010

bartc wrote:

> "Nobody" <nobody at nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:pan.2010.01.16.04.24.18.437000 at nowhere.com...
>> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:42:43 -0800, W. eWatson wrote:
>>
>>> I thought I'd put a page break, chr(12), character in a txt file I wrote
>>> to skip to the top of the page. It doesn't work. Comments?
>>
>> The 1970's are over, and neither Notepad nor your printer attempts to
>> maintain compatibility with a Teletype model 37.
>
> Odd that TXT files under Windows still use the same 13 (carriage
> return), 10 (linefeed) and 9 (tab) codes that used to work on my ASR 33.
> So why not code 12 (formfeed)?

Because the KSR/ASR33 devices were designed for continuous output in
things like torn-tape and torn-paper messaging systems (where I believe
Cable and Wireless made a lot of  money once upon a time). There was no
point paginating the copy, and to do so would have been wasteful. An
operator would just hit CRLF a few times (in fact a good operator would
only return the carriage once at the start, and then just hit the
requisite number of line feeds.

regards
 Steve
PyCon is coming! Atlanta, Feb 2010  http://us.pycon.org/