Ignore leading '>>>' and ellipsis?

r0g aioe.org at technicalbloke.com
Fri Jan 15 10:29:45 EST 2010

Javier Collado wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I think that's exactly what the cpaste magic function does. Type
> 'cpaste?' in your IPython session for more information.
>
> Best regards,
>     Javier
>
> 2010/1/14 Reckoner <reckoner at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am studying some examples in a tutorial where there are a lot of
>> leading >>> characters and ellipsis in the text. This makes it hard to
>> cut and paste into the IPython interpreter since it doesn't like these
>> strings.
>>
>> Is there another interpreter I could use that will appropriately
>> ignore and interpret these leading terms?
>>
>> For example, I cannot paste the following directly into the
>> interpreter:

>> ...     __array_interface__ = d
>> ...     base = x
>> --

Or, as a man with a shiny new hammer, you could roll your own processor
in python as a learning exercise...

#!/usr/bin/python
import sys
lines = []
try:
    while 1:
        l1 = sys.stdin.readline()
        l2 = l1.lstrip(">")
        if l1<>l2: l2 = l2[1:]
        lines.append( l2 )
except KeyboardInterrupt:
    print ''.join(lines)

10 points for modding it so it automatically recopies the data to the
clipboard

20 points for using a timer to automatically issue a keyboard interrupt
if the buffer has data and no input has been received for half a second

:)

Roger.