ctypes error

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Fri Jan 15 03:04:52 EST 2010

 >Gib Bogle wrote:
 >>I have a simple demo program (on Windows XP) that uses the ctypes
module to load a DLL.
 >>This program works as expected with Python 2.5.4, but fails with
Python 2.6.4 (on a different
 >> machine, each machine has only one Python version installed), with
these messages:

 >>File "demo.py", line 37, in <module>
 >>  mydll = windll.LoadLibrary("DEMO.DLL")
 >>File "c:\python26\lib\ctypes\__init__.py, line 431, in LoadLibrary
 >>  return self._dlltype(name)
 >>File "c:\python26\lib\ctypes\__init__.py, line 353, in __init__
 >>  self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
 >>WindowsError: [Error 14001] This application has failed to start
because the application configuration is incorrect.  Reinstalling the
application may fix this problem

 >>It isn't clear to me what the "application" is.  As far as I know I
didn't install anything except Python 2.6.4.  Is it possible that ctypes
doesn't work with 2.6.4?

Gib Bogle wrote:
> occurred to me that the error may have nothing to do with ctypes.  The
> DLL was built on one machine and copied to the other (which doesn't
> have the compiler installed).  Although both machines are running
> Windows XP, there might be some subtle differences.
>
> I see that the build machine has XP Professional, Version 2002,
> Service Pack 2, while the machine that fails to load the DLL has XP
> Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.  Who knows.

The application is "python.exe".  And usually, when it gives such an
error, there's a missing DLL, or one of improper version.

I think you want to run Dependency-Walker.  See

for a description, and follow its link to
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=132640

to download it.

DaveA