A simple-to-use sound file writer

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Thu Jan 14 19:45:05 EST 2010

* Lie Ryan:
> On 01/15/10 05:42, Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
>> I'm beginning to believe that you maybe didn't grok that simple procedure.
>>
>> It's very very very trivial, so maybe you were looking for something
>> more intricate  --  they used to say, in the old days, "hold on, this
>> proof goes by so fast you may not notice it!"
>
> Since you said it's trivial, then...

You can't get it more trivial.

>>> Nothing about you there. Just the information you are promoting. I don't
>>> normally deal in innuendo and personal attacks. Though I do occasionally
>>> get irritated by what I perceive to be hogwash. People who know me will
>>> tell you, if I am wrong I will happily admit it.
>> There's a difference between an algorithm that you can implement, and
>> hogwash.
>
> please prove your claim by writing that algorithm in code and post it in
> this list. The program must accept a .wav file (or sound format of your
> choice) and process it according to your algorithm and the output
> another .wav file (or sound format of your choice) that sounds roughly
> similar to the input file.

First, the (very very trivial) algorithm I posted does *not* do that: by itself
it represents a sine wave, not an arbitrary wave form.

And second I'm not about to write Fourier transform code to satisfy someone who
refuses to do a milligram of thinking.

The Fourier part stuff needed to do what you're requesting is non-trivial, or at
least it's some work to write the code.

> PS: I have near-zero experience with sound processing
> PPS: I will be equally delighted seeing either Steve admitting his wrong
> or you admit your hogwash
> PPPS: An alternative way to convince us is to provide a paper/article
> that describes this algorithm.
> PPPPS: Though I will be quite sad if you choose to reject the challenge

I don't believe any of what you write here.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf