Author of a Python Success Story Needs a Job!

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Jan 14 18:34:51 EST 2010

On 28 Des 2009, 08:32, Andrew Jonathan Fine
<eternalsqu... at hotmail.com> wrote:

>               As a hobby to keep me sane, I am attempting to retrain
> part time at home as a jeweler and silversmith, and I sometimes used
> Python for generating and manipulating code for CNC machines.

It occurs to me that in some domains, this combination of Python and
the design and production of physical artifacts could be fairly
attractive, even though it may or may not be what you want to focus on
in pursuing a software career. For example, I follow the goings-on in
the various open hardware communities, and there isn't really a
shortage of boards, controllers, components or chipsets which can be
put to use, but taking these things and producing a well-designed case
in order to deliver a readily usable piece of equipment is something
which seems beyond most of the interested parties: people who know one
thing well can be completely oblivious of the ways of another thing.

Sometimes, it seems to pay to be knowledgeable in two different kinds
of endeavour whose practitioners rarely interact, and perhaps there
might be opportunities for you in this regard. Nevertheless, I
obviously wish you success in your employment search.

Paul