Writing a string.ishex function

chandra chyavana at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 11:27:35 EST 2010

On Jan 15, 12:22 am, "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <da... at druid.net> wrote:

> Just return False once you find a non-hex digit.
>
> def ishex(s):
>   for c in s:
>     if not c in string.hexdigits: return False
>
>   return True
>
> And here are your unit tests.  Every line should print "True".
>
> print ishex('123') is True
> print ishex('abc') is True
> print ishex('xyz') is False
> print ishex('0123456789abcdefABCDEF') is True
> print ishex('0123456789abcdefABCDEFG') is False

Thanks to Iain and to you.

One further question: even though it is a single function, is there
any way to convert it into a module? Can existing modules be enhanced
with functions such as these? If not, how may I make my own module,
called, say mystring? At present, I am saving the file as ishex.py and
calling it after declaring

from ishex import ishex

Is there a more elegant way to integrate this function and make it
available to other python scripts using the import mechanism?

Thanks.

Chandra