force URLencoding script

João joaopcf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 05:46:41 EST 2010

On Jan 12, 10:07 pm, r0g <aioe.... at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
> João wrote:
> >> Haven't seen your original post yet mate, usenet can be flaky like that,
> >> might have been a good idea to quote your original post!
>
> >> Roger.
>
> > Thanks Roger.

> > headers =  {  ’User-Agent’  :  user_agent  }
>
> Those quotes need to be either " or ' i.e.
>
> headers =  {  'User-Agent'  :  user_agent  }
>
> If that doesn't sort it then it would be helpful to see a traceback or,
> if it is not crashing, get a description of how it is failing to do what
> you expect.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Roger.

Weird, I had the correct quotes in my script, maybe I've pasted with
some error.
This is my current script,

(and though I got it working with the subprocess.call I don't know how
to use a pure Python version.

for the following data,
authentication = "UID=somestring&"
message = 'PROBLEM severity High: OperatorX Plat1(locationY) global
Succ. : 94.470000%'
dest_number = 'XXXXXXXXXXX'

url_values = urlencode({'M':message})
enc_data = authentication + url_values + dest_number

I'm getting null for
full_url = Request(url, enc_data, headers)

and thus,
response = urlopen(full_url).read()
returns,
TypeError: <exceptions.TypeError instance at 0x2b4d88ec6440>

)

#!/usr/bin/env python
import sys
import os
import subprocess
from urllib import urlencode, urlopen
from urllib2 import Request

destination = sys.argv[1]
msg = sys.argv[2]

authentication = "UID=somestring&"
dest_number = "&N=%s" % destination

message = '%s' % msg
url_values = urlencode({'M':message})

enc_data = authentication + url_values + dest_number

url = 'http://10.112.28.221:38080/GwHTTPin/sendtext'

subprocess.call('echo "%s" | /usr/bin/POST -P "%s"' % (enc_data, url),
shell=True)