Python and Tkinter Programming by John Grayson

Peter peter.milliken at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 15:31:36 EST 2010

On Jan 13, 11:19 am, Ethan Furman <et... at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I am hoping to acquire a book on Python and Tkinter, and found this one.
>   However, it was published in 2000 for Python 1.52...
>
> Can somebody who has this book comment its continued relevance?  Is it
> still useful for Python 2.5 and Tk 8.4?  Is it *very* useful?
>
> Comments appreciated!
>
> ~Ethan~

I have a copy - which I haven't read now for some years :-)

But it was an excellent introduction to using Python and Tkinter and
depending on your level of experience, I would highly recommend it
even now to anybody who is just beginning to use Python and Tkinter.
In fact, I still loan it to any friends who are just starting out with
Python and want to do their first GUI.

Besides, the book is mainly about using Python with Tkinter - and
Tkinter hasn't changed that much since 2000, so I believe it is just
as relevant today as it was back then. The fact it was written back
when Python was 1.52 is probably not relevant either as it isn't a
book about learning Python (all such books quickly become 'dated'
given the speed at which Python develops) but rather producing GUIs
using Python and Tkinter - so it still does an excellent job for that
even though I have abandoned the GUI application framework that John
provides in his book (I used it once for my first GUI, but these days
use Pmw more for my GUIs).

Peter