A question about Python versions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 13 02:47:33 EST 2010

On 1/13/2010 1:09 AM, Gib Bogle wrote:
> I am learning Python, and using PyQt to develop a GUI that will be used
> to run a Fortran program on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X (I think Python
> is great, btw). Without thinking about it I downloaded and started
> working with a fairly recent Python version, 2.5.4. I've now become
> aware of the existence of Python 3.1, which apparently is a major
> revision of the language. Does it make sense to stick with Python 2.x at
> this point, or should I be starting off with 3.1? If it is recommended
> to stick with version 2, should I use the latest (2.6.4 or 2.7), and if
> so why? Thanks.

My view is that if PyQt works with 3.1 (I have the impression it does
but may be wrong) and that is the only 3rd parth library you need, or
anything else you need works with 3.1, then strongly consider 3.1 for
new code. The main difference between 2.6 and 3.1 is the number of old,
obsolete things removed that you will not even be tempted to learn about.

Terry Jan Reedy