interactive terminal in Ubuntu Linux : libreadline5-dev works only in Python 2.6 not 3.1

Dave Dave
Wed Jan 13 00:03:53 EST 2010

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:08:20 -0800 (PST), casevh <casevh at gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 10, 8:16 pm, Dave WB3DWE wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 16:48:52 -0800 (PST), casevh <cas... at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>Are you sure you are using the new version of python3.1 (the one
>located in /usr/local/bin/)?
>
>What is the result of "which python3.1"?
>
>What happens if you run "/usr/local/bin/python3.1"?
>
>casevh

You're correct : there are now two versions of Python 3 on my machine.

Two weeks ago when I installed the Python-3.1.1 from the tarball somehow
it got called up with "python3" .  Thats what I've continued to run and
now has all the errors.

in my usr/local/bin are
    2to3  idle3  pydoc3  python3  python3.1  python3.1-config  and,
        in light blue, python3-config

Running  " python3.1 "  solves _most_ of the problems :
    It imports the random & time modules and runs most of my modules in
the pycode dir.
    The libreadline5-dev works fine and all my issues with the keys are
gone. I'm astonished.

However now my modules that import  msvcrt  will not run.  I use this
for single char keyboard input.  Trying to import msvcrt yields
    InputError : No module named msvcrt
I believe a module using this ran before recompilation.  Furthermore I
can find  msvcrtmodule.c in  /home/dave/python31/Python-3.1.1/PC
and msvcrt.rst in /home/dave/python31/Python-3.1.1/Doc/library
I use this a lot.  Suppose I should now learn curses module.

Thanks for everything         Dave WB3DWE      pdlemper at earthlink.net