Bugs in CPython 3.1.1 [wave.py]

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Tue Jan 12 18:31:24 EST 2010

* Steve Holden:
> Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
>
> If you have any suggestions for improving things (and the same goes for
> any other readers) I will be happy to listen to them. I do agree that
> the bug tracker is a rather high hurdle for people to have to jump over
> just to offer feedback on software faults, but the PSF doesn't have the
> resources to man customer service lines and the like, so we do what we
> can with web-based automation.

Well, regarding the bug tracker register-an-account process, checking headers of
a duplicate confirmation mail that arrived even later than what I already
commented on,

	by psf.upfronthosting.co.za (Postfix) with ESMTP id AE98D786B3
	for <alfps at start.no>; Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:25:53 +0100 (CET)

As you can see the mail spent exactly 28 minutes (to the second) whirring about
within "psf.upfronthosting.co.za" before being sent on to my ISP, where it used
about 3 minutes on orienting itself towards my machine.

I think that mail hang-up may be easiest to fix...

Perhaps use other SMTP server (would be easiest solution).

Perhaps change to CAPTCHA instead of mail confirmation.

Other suggestions I have would, I think, require a lot of work. And I'm not sure
it's worth it. But my experience is that Google scores 0 on bug reporting, not
even allowing you to report anything, at all; Microsoft scores 8 or so, up from
1 on my scale (they used to have lead-you-around-in-circles forms leading to
punch-you-in-the nose server errors etc., like Google now, but worse because you
were paying for this!, but they totally changed their tune a few years back, now
really good, *except* for the worst most bloated MS software/malware ever, the
Microsoft installer, which unfortunately CPython uses, a light-weight installer
would be much better!); and then the GNU g++ team scores top marks, 10+, because
I've had a g++ bug reported and fixed within just hours! :-)

Cheers,

- Alf